Michael Gaine missing: What we know so far
The investigation continues for missing Kerry farmer Michael Gaine, who has been missing for over two weeks.
The 56-year-old was last seen over two weeks ago buying phone credit at a Centra store in Kenmare on Thursday March 20th.
He is described as being approximately 5ft 10in, of a stocky build, with brown/grey hair and a bushy beard.
When last seen, he was wearing an orange woolly hat, black fleece, blue jeans and black boots.
Mr Gaine left in his bronze-coloured RAV4 registration 152 KY 366, which was later found parked in Mr Gaine’s farmyard, just off the N71 at Carrig East.
Searches
The search has focused mainly on the Carraig East area of Kenmare, though no trace of Mr Gaine had been found.
Earlier this week, the Defence Forces joined the operation.
Up to 50 troops combined from the 12th Infantry Battalion from Limerick and the 3rd Infantry Battalion from Kilkenny have been assisting gardaí.
A number of items have been seized from a cave during searches on his land as part of the investigation. As of now, it is unclear if these items are relevant to the search.
Checkpoints have been ongoing in Kerry since his disappearance.
Out of character
Michael Gaine's disappearance has brought shock to the community in Kerry, with many people commenting on how out of character this situation is.
This has led to several resources becoming available for this search.
Jason Fleming, chair of the Irish Farmers’ Association in Kerry, said Mr Gaine was a “sheep and beef farmer, and a great one at that”, adding many members of the association were concerned and had joined the search for him. “We’d be hopeful that Mike will be found safe and sound,” he told Radio Kerry.
Speaking to the Irish Times, local councillor Dan McCarthy said: “He would be well-known as a farmer. The family would be farming all their lives.
“He was in the shop every morning for a cup of tea and a chat. And he’s like a big brother to my son."
Gardaí had no indication he was vulnerable or at risk in any way, with foul play not being ruled out by gardaí at his moment.
People are being asked to submit any footage, pictures or videos from Thursday, March 20th or Friday, March 21st in the Kenmare town or Moll’s Gap areas (N71/R568) to gardaí.
Anyone with information on Michael’s whereabouts is asked to contact Killarney Garda Station or any Garda station.